Saturday, February 04, 2006

A Different Video from Gaither

I just received the two DVD set of Gaither Homecoming concerts in Canada. They are quite different from anything the homecoming crew have done and I'm not sure I like it.

Since last fall's Signature Sound video (what do you call these things? I guess they aren't videos unless they are on tape and DVD sounds so cold), Giather's production crew has used a new system which I'll call "reality," for lack of a better term. Unlike video tape where the program looks live, this gives the impression of film. It's not very clear a lot of the time except on close-ups and the sound, though good, has more echo. I guess the idea is to make you think you're at a live concert. I don't think it's an improvement, though.

Anyway, you could say that this is more of the same, but that's what the public wants. Opening with songs you know by heart and seeing some familiar faces will probably push this set to the top of the charts in no time. The performances are good, the comedy is pure Hee-Haw courtesy of Mark Lowry, Kevin Williams and others, and the old saints that have passed away are honored. Even with my doubt about the quality of the picture, this is a very good set of DVDs and better than anything anyone is doing in music of any kind these days.

I'll post a complete review this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home